Welcome to the Jacoby & Meyers website, please upgrade your Flash Plugin and enable JavaScript.

Questions about Credit Reports

Where may I get a copy of my credit report?

Credit reports can be obtained from any credit reporting agency. Go online and search “credit reporting agency” or look in the phone book under “credit reporting agency” for addresses and phone numbers of these organizations.

The three main credit reporting agencies in the United States are Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. These organizations are for-profit businesses and possess no government affiliation. Additionally, you are now entitled to one free report per year from each agency, so you may want to stagger the requests to better keep you informed as to your available credit and credit score.

Besides me, who else can see my credit report?

Only those people to whom you have given permission and their authorized representatives are supposed to see your personal information.

If information on my credit report is incorrect, can I get this changed?

It’s possible to get inaccurate information corrected. You must put in writing which part of the report you are disputing and send it to the appropriate credit reporting agency. They must conduct an investigation, and let you know if it can be changed or not. You can research or request more information on how to do this, if you wish.

Do I have appeal options if the credit reporting agency denies my dispute?

Yes. You can ask to have a statement attached to your credit report with your explanation, or in some circumstances, file a lawsuit under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) to get the credit reporting agencies or creditors to comply.

What is the difference between a credit report and an investigative consumer report?

A credit report simply contains information regarding your credit rating and credit history. An investigative consumer report may contain information regarding your reputation, character, and other items of a personal nature.

I gave permission for a credit check to be done, but not an investigative consumer report, and I have discovered that’s exactly what was done. What are my rights?

Anyone who requests or receives an investigative consumer report without first obtaining permission is in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). If you feel or know that someone has received an investigative consumer report without your permission, contact the attorneys at Jacoby & Meyers as soon as possible. We will meet with you and determine what your rights are and what can be done to protect your good name, reputation, and character. We urge you to do this as soon as possible so that we can begin to assist you.

Please contact the offices of Jacoby & Meyers today. We have offices and attorneys throughout the United States.