Class action lawsuits are extremely beneficial when there is a group of consumers which has the same or similar complaint about a product or service. Instead of each person filing a separate lawsuit with separate attorneys, all of the cases are combined into one class action lawsuit with one or more attorneys working together.
Common Class Action Lawsuits
In order to file a class action lawsuit, there must be several people named as the plaintiffs, and they will represent the entire group, or class. The class must be made up of people who have experienced the same or similar issue. The most common types of class action lawsuits involve:
- Defective products
- Defective drugs
- Aviation accidents
- Deceptive or fraudulent business practices
- Unsafe working conditions
- Discrimination based on race, sex, religion, or pregnancy
Benefits of Class Action Lawsuits
Class action lawsuits offer many advantages over individual lawsuits for the same claim. Some of the ways that they are beneficial include:
- They bring together a large group of people with similar stories, which can offer comfort and support to those who were injured.
- Because more than one person is speaking up, it creates more rapid awareness of the issue.
- It helps lower the cost of litigation because it increases the efficiency of the firm and individual lawyers by dealing with a group, rather than many individual claimants.
- There is the potential for a much larger recovery so that the people in the class can receive monetary compensation that may have otherwise been too small for a single lawsuit.
- It minimizes the opportunity for different court rulings.
If you feel that you have been harmed in a situation that involved others, you may have a valid class action claim. The class action lawyers at Jacoby & Meyers can review your case and advise you on the best way to proceed.
Please contact our class action lawyers today to schedule a complimentary consultation. We have offices nationwide.